Sunday, May 1, 2011

I made it to Arlington; and Somerset, Pennyslvania

I'm a little late wrapping up our vacation.  It was our last day and we saved the best for last.  Arlington!  No words can express the beauty of this place.  It was a wonderful way to end our time in DC.  I left there with such a big heart.  So thankful for the freedom that we have and those who made the sacrifice for it.

These were some of the blooms leading up to The Kennedy's Grave site.

John F Kennedy's grave and the Eternal Flame.

Jackie O.
The view from the Kennedy's Grave site.



I had no ideal how big Arlington was.   I was amazed that there was that many laid to rest here.


Visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was such a compassionate experience and I'm so glad that I was there with all my boys.  We watched the changing of the guards and a wreath presentation.  Definitely a tear-jerker.









In-scripted:
Here rests in honored glory
an American Solider
know but to God.


The view from Arlington House.  It was told to us that John F. Kennedy would come up here to get away from the city and 6 months before he passed said " he could stay here forever".


Now he rests at the bottom of the hill.


On our way out of DC we choose to take a new route home and travel  North East through Pennsylvania's country roads.  It was just so pretty.  A lot of mountains, dairy farms, and my favorite - little white chapels.





We were only a few miles out from the QueCreek Mine Rescue site so we decided to stop in and take some pictures.  If you are not familiar with the QueCreek Rescue then you can read about it
HERE. The educational center is only open during the summer season but we did get to walk around the rescue site and take a few pictures.







What a great way to end our vacation.  The ride home was beautiful.  There's a whole lot of mountains in PA & WV.  It was a great day to reflect and be thankful for everything in my life.  My family especially!

No comments:

Post a Comment