Monday, July 11, 2011

Camping in the Smokies

Last week Kris was given some last minute time off work so we decided to take the boys camping in the Smokey Mountains.  Now the kidos thought Mom couldn't rough it.  Well I call roughing it at a campground with water and electricity and a really nice bath house.   I grew up in a campground, sleeping in tents when the parents were usually in the campers/RV's/5th Wheels.  I think my parents have owned about 20 of these throughout my life time.  Camping was one of the most fun things my parents did with my brother & I.  I can't remember not being at a campground several weekends out of the year for the most part of my life.  Riding four wheelers, cooking over a campfire, chasing boys, you know all the fun stuff.

Our trip started out Thursday morning.....see me.........."HAPPY & EXCITED TO HAVE TIME WITH ALL 3 OF MY FAVORITE BOYS" ready to go camping Me!


Kris - much needed time off work.  Happy, Relaxed!


The 15 year old! Embarrassed.


The 11 year old.  Sleepy. 


We took our time heading down, stopping to eat, shop, whatever anyone wanted to do.  We stopped at my favorite winery in Pigeon Forge, TN.  Mountain Valley Winery is my MOST FAVORITE winery ever.  I've been to several but I just love this one.  So I usually try to stock up (3 whole bottles) because Ky will not let you ship anything into the big state of Kentucky .  So no online orders. Booooooo!


Picked up 2 of my favorites, Blackberry & Mountain Berry.  Also puchased their newest simi sweet wine, Rhubarb.  It was delish!!!!!!!!


Then we headed up the mountain to set up camp.  We stayed at a great place called Crazy Horse Campground about 13 miles outside of Gatlinburg, TN.  The bathhouses were really nice and super clean.  The boys loved the pool, the stream, & the fishing pond.  They also had a water slide but we didn't have enough time to use it.  The first night we set up camp, got a fire going, and then started on dinner.


Welcome to Camp Fabulous!






Kris found a really good recipe called Campers Stew.  Here's a copy and paste of the directions:

It's a simple mess-free dinner the whole family can enjoy.
On a 15 " strip of aluminum foil, crumble hamburger and top it with finely chopped potatoes, onions, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, and any vegetable you have on hand. Add salt, pepper and a tsp of butter to the top. Wrap it up tight and stick on a bed of hot coals. When it's done add Tabasco or ketchup. ummmmmm. It's fabulous.



And Fabulous it was!!! Yummy and the Rhubarb wine to go with it made it super yummy. 



After a hard days work of travel, setting up camp and eating way too much we all sit around the camp fire and just had some good ol' family time.



Good Morning on Day 2


We stopped here at a mom and pop style market to pick up the boys fishing license.


Headed out to Cades Cove and had a picnic along one of the many mountain streams.



Entered the Cades Cove 11 mile loop to explore the beauty of the cove and all its nature and history.



First stop was at the Methodist Church and the Church Grave yard.  Look how sad, 3 children within 3 years.


This had no DOB.


I don't know why I've always had a "thing" about little white churches.  But I just love them.




Seen several deer through out our 2 hour ride.


Old homesteads, barns, and cabins.





After the loop tour we stopped along the way to let the boys fish for a while and then headed back to camp. The Hubs loves to cook (yes I'm a lucky girl) so every night we had something great.  This night was pork chops & steaks, grilled potatoes & carrots, grilled corn, and campfire beans.




Day 3 was my favorite day on the lil mini vacation.  I was up and ready to go before any of the boys.  After getting them awake, we had a great breakfast that consisted of cereal, poptarts, white doughnuts and last nights left overs.  Breakfast of Champions!  We loaded the truck up and headed back up to the mountain streams and fishing holes.

Grumpy Karson



This was our first time being in Gatlinburg during the July 4th festival and parade.  The town was really decorated up and flags flying everywhere.


Not a good picture but the only bear we seen during this trip.


We stopped at KFC and picked up lunch, found an off road fishing hole that was really private.


The boys fished and explored the stream, I sat in my chair enjoying the peace and quite.



Almost felt like a spa day, was so relaxing.


After a few hours we headed up to a place close to Cades Cove that was just perfect.  It had a small swimming hole, some good size fish, and a great place to put your feet in the water.


Once again, me and my chair.  One Happy Girl.






Me & my baby boy.


The water felt so nice, we stayed here for about 5 hours.


After our great day in the stream we headed back to camp to settle down.  As you can see, we really were not roughing it that much.


Day 4 we headed home.


Kris and I came here for our Honeymoon 16 years ago and we use to laugh at this sign.  It once said "Good Food, Cold Beer".


After stopping a few places to shop a bit, we headed home.  Took some back roads through Central Kentucky and enjoyed our time together.


I thought Karson was asleep for half of the ride home, but I was mistaken.  He had DSI game withdraws.


Kris really enjoyed his time off and is currently planning another trip back.


Lane was not so embarrassed by his mother by the end of the trip.  Guess he finally seen my camping skills. HA!


And I survived.


Had a wonderful time with my 3 favorite boys.  Ready to go again.

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap!!!! We was there at the same time!!! I stayed in Gatlinburg! Did y'all go the parade? It's the whole reason why I go there. Heck we need to plan a trip there one year together. Or maybe one weekend this fall. Just adults! We would have so much fun! Heck. I forgot I put my wine in the freezer thanks for the reminder girl!!!

    ReplyDelete