Monday, December 26, 2011

Great Pa and His Hard Hat

Kris' Aunt Michelle posted this photo on facebook of Great Pa last week.  I absolute love it.  Its the first photo that I've seen with his hard hat on.  Great Pa gave this hard had to Kris about 4 or 5 years ago.  It was the one thing my husband wanted to have and it means the world to him.  Kris actually wore it to the mines for a while.  He stopped wearing it when items were going missing and was worried that someone would snatch it up.  No telling how old it is, but the sentimental value of it beyond any amount that any one could ever offer him.  It now rest in a safe place and will be passed on to one of our boys one day.  


During our stay with Great Pa in the hospital the last few weeks he was with us, we were fortunate to visit with his sister, Mary.  She told a few stories and some things I was unaware of.  I knew he went to work at an early age in the coal mines after his father had passed so he could help support his brothers and sisters.  I did not realize it was at such an early age.  He was only 9 years old.  Wow!  That just blows me away.  I can't image the thoughts, struggles or responsibilities he felt.  The heart aches he endured.  He lost his brother who was 14 in the mines.  He spoke about him a few times to me and tears would just fall from his eyes.

I've always believed that our past makes us who we are.  I think it's called "Character".  The mistakes we make, the lesson's learned.  I never seen Great Pa be anything but humble.  Always appreciative and never yearned for anything more than  the well being of his family.  He was such a precious man.  Such a gentleman.  He sure was missed during the holidays.  He was always so much fun, the kids absolutely adored him.  I'm so thankful for the time we had with him and the love he shared with all of us.

1 comment: