Saturday, August 27, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Ever get tired of paying for "stuff" that you can make yourself???   I do! And now with all this extra time at home, I need something productive to do.  And I love to save money, cause that's just more money for me to spend on something fantablous for my family.  And  I like the ideal that "I made it myself".  Here's my project from last week.

Arm & Hammer Washing Soda $3.24
Borax Laundry Booster $3.36
1 bar of Fels-Naptha - $.97
plus .06% sales tax.
All found at my local Wally World in the Laundry section within 2 feet of each other.


Grade 1/3 of bar soap.


Melt graded soap into 6 cups of water.


After soap has melted, add 1/2 cup of Borax and 1/2 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda.  Dissolve.


Clean your storage bucket (2 gallons or more, I like to double my batch and use a 5 gallon bucket with lid).  Fill bucket with 4 cups of hot water.  Then add detergent mixture.  Last add 1 gallon and 6 cups of cold water


Stir and let set for 24 hours.  You will use 1/2 cup for each load.  Substance will not be sudsy, it will have an egg noodle soup look. 


Here's the break down....


The price below is for 2 gallons = 64 loads.
Arm & Hammer cost $3.44 divided by 55oz = $.07 per oz. X 8oz. = $.56
Borax cost $3.57 divided by 76 oz = $.05 per oz. X 8oz. = $.40
Fels Naptha cost $1.03 divided by 3 = $.35
And about 30 minutes of my time.

For a total of $1.31 which equals out to just a tad bit above $.02 per load.
I figured that I will save approximately $250.00 per calendar year by going Homemade!

This is not my ideal, it's a copy cat from HERE (which is very detailed)!
I've been washing with the detergent for a few days and no one has noticed the change or has had any breakouts, so I believe it's a "go" for the Maddox household.  Now to make the Dugger Family laundry softener.

No comments:

Post a Comment