Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A+

Thanksgiving will be here tomorrow.  And I am nowhere in my usually routine.  Life in the last week has been turned upside down it seems like.  Usually at this time I am cleaning the house while listening to holiday music, cooking for tomorrow, searching through the black friday ads.  Setting the DVR to record the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  But this year is different.  I'm catching up on the laundry just so we have clean cloths, don't care if the beds are made today.  Cooking what I can to send to my mom's tomorrow, and I just really don't care about shopping or the parade this year.  
Instead, Kris & I along with his family have been taking care of Kris' papaw.  He was admitted to the hospital this past Sunday and Monday the family was called in to say their goodbyes.  He's holding on longer than we thought he would, fighting to stay alive for his family.  His closest family and friends have been by his side loving him, talking to him, praying for peace & comfort.  Although there will be no turkey or the fixing's at the Maddox house tomorrow, we have already witnessed the greatest blessings there are.  We've seen our family pull together, love each other in our deepest times.  Hold each other when we are weak.  Wiped each others tears.  Speak the sweetest heartfelt words.  Touch in the kindest way.   The strength & compassion I've witnessed in this family during the last few days is beyond anything I could ever imagine.   Their love is unconditional.  Solid.  Pure.

So today I am Thankful for my family.  All of them.  My husband, my children, my parents, my in-laws, brother and sisters,  my extended family.  And for my friends that feel like family to me.  I am Thankful that my husband was able to share his best friend of 36 years with our children.  Not many children get to know or enjoy their Great Grandparents like mine have.  So today we count our blessings for the time that God has allowed us.  Although we are never prepared to let them go, we know our Father above will give us the strength we need to carry on.    Aunt Mary said the most kindest and sweetest words to us this week and I quote..."all of you are his report card and he gets the highest A+ there is, he did good, very good."  I don't think there is any higher compliment than that.  When my time is over, I hope no one talks about what kind of car I drove, how big my house was.  If I kept up with this years fashion.  Or if my kids had all the newest/coolest stuff.  I can only hope that I will receive the same compliment.




Praying for you Papaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment